After a series of liturgical performances at Leeds Cathedral in January and February, several of John’s choral works are being performed in March. They are as follows:
- 5 March 2016, St John’s Church Newbury (7.30pm): The Cecilia Consort are giving the first concert performance of Missa Brevis: Petrus et Orbis which John co-wrote with friend and fellow composer, Teena Lyle.
- 9 March 2016, Leeds Cathedral: The Cathedral Choir will sing the Magnficat Primi Toni at Vespers (from 5.10pm). This piece was commissioned by the choir for their BBC Choral Evensong broadcast in 2014.
- 12 March 2016, SJE Arts, Oxford (7.30pm): Commotio will perform two of John’s Marian Antiphons (Regina Coeli and Salve Regina) from the collection published by Shorter House.
- 13 March 2016, St Joseph’s Church, Ottawa (3pm). This is the N American premiere of John’s Lamentations, scored for choir and trumpet, which Gramophone magazine described as ‘striking’ and ‘beautiful’. The performance is by the Cantata Singers of Ottawa, directed by Andrew McAnerney.
- 16 March 2016, Leeds Cathedral: The Cathedral Choir will sing the Magnficat Septimi Toni at Vespers (from 5.10pm).
- 26 March 2016, Leeds Cathedral: The Cathedral Choir will sing O Sacrum Convivium at the Easter Vigil Mass (from 8pm). This popular motet is published by Shorter House.
- 27 March 2016, Leeds Cathedral: The Junior Girls Choir will sing the Leeds Missa Brevis, at the first mass of Easter Sunday (9.30am). The Mass was commissioned in 2011 by Lucy Haigh for the children’s choirs of the Diocese of Leeds.
Looking slightly further ahead to the beginning of April:
- 6 April 2016, Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Servi, Rimini (Italy): the Belgian choir, Collegium de Dunis under their director, Ignace Thevelein, are embarking on a short tour of Italy. They will perform two of John’s motets, Tu excitas and Pater Noster at a late night concert in Rimini (starts 9pm). This exciting programme includes works by Arvo Pärt, Jean Richafort, Tomas Luis da Vittoria and Patrick Hawes. Other dates on the tour are: 1 April (Bologna) and 4 April (Ravenna).
Categorised in: Uncategorized
This post was written by admin